Saturday, February 18, 2012

whew...weekend is here :D

So yesterday I won movie tickets at work. They announced it in the morning and I was completely shocked. They did a report on our residents to see who is making sure their pediatric patients are getting their immunizations. Three residents got above 90%. They were asked which nurse helped them with that score. Dr. Smithson said I was the one who helped him with immunizations the most. I was very happily surprised. They are going to give me a certificate and take a picture of me and the doctor. Blah. No picture, please.

So Robby and I went to the mall, split a yummy Japanese dinner of teriyaki chicken and moshi balls. I was still dressed in my scrubs and feeling very fashionable. We ended up seeing "This Means War". It was okay. A typical chick flick and it had action for Robby. But I'm not a chick flick person. I had been wearing my badge, but took it off because it makes my neck itch. I did not have my purse with me, so I sat on it to make sure I wouldn't forget it. Sure enough, I forgot it. I got down to the bottom of the stairs in the theater and realized what I had done. I turned around and started to dash up the stairs. You don't dash in Crocs. I tripped and fell down in slow motion. I landed with my left shin right on the edge of one of the stairs and felt like a huge idiot. There was a man in his seat still who saw me fall, got up and tried to see how I was doing. I brushed him off because I was so mortified. It was really painful.

Robby started teasing me because he could sense that I was hurt and upset. I snapped at him a couple of times, which made him tease me more. He's so much like me, it's kind of maddening at times. :D This was one of those times.

I got home and looked at my leg. It was all swollen. I sat down with my feet up and put ice on it. It's feeling better today, but it hurt like a mother last night. I hate being older and not able to catch myself when I fall. It really sucks.

It's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow. Blah.

Right now Robby and I are on opposite sides of the couch with our feet in the center, almost in each others' laps. He is on my iPad playing a word game and I am blogging and listening to Spotify. Emeli is at Francesca's and Brett is at Brian and Jack's. We have the house to ourselves and it is so quiet and nice. After driving around in the car all day, it feels good to just come home and crash on the couch.

Lately, I have been so tired when I come home from work. My hips hurt and I just want to go to bed. See, I'm getting old. How depressing.

Last night Emeli went to a birthday party. One of the girls there was alone with Emeli and Emeli was doing her hair (coincidentally, her name is Sarah). Sarah and Emeli start talking about homosexuality. Emeli told Sarah that she loves gay people. Sarah admitted that she is bi-sexual. Then Emeli felt like Sarah was getting a little close to Emeli and it freaked Emeli out. So this morning, when Emeli told me this, I gave her some motherly advise.

1--if you tell someone you love gay people, you can't get creeped out by one of them trying to become better friends to see if you are interested in them. If you love gay people, you love ALL gay people. I asked Emeli how many gay people she knows. She sheepishly told me that she knows Brett and a friend I used to work with at Bath and Body Works who was gay, but not ready to admit it. I told her that was not enough people to base her opinions on.

2--I told Emeli that I have had many gay male friends. I loved them all because they were the most fun people and we had great times together. However, lesbians give me the creeps at times. I try not to feel that way, but I can't help it. It's not that I hate them, I have had a few lesbians make passes at me or check me out. I appreciate that about as much as I appreciate old men who come into the clinic and make passes at me and flirt with me, too. It's just that I don't go that way and I don't really like it when they get into my personal space. I also admitted that I don't appreciate heterosexual men who come across all macho and think they are all that, too, and expect me to treat them special. Not going to happen.

Anyway, I told Emeli that she needs to sit and think about how she feels about that kind of thing. She can't make big blanket statements about things unless she can back it up. Interestingly enough, Brett had made the same point to her when he picked her up from the party and she talked to him about it.

No comments: