Friday, February 24, 2012

I choose laughter...

By the end of the week, Friday is like I have walked through the desert and found an oasis. I love my job, but by Friday, I am TIRED! I am tired of hearing babies screaming from shots, hearing people whine about their pain and tired of the general drama that a lot of patients create. I know I've said this before, but I don't know how some people get to be as crazy as they are. I just kind of roll my eyes and tuck it away to tell my kids.

One guy came in today who had a kidney stone. He has worked in prisons for twenty odd years. He told me that for his Master's thesis, he had to interview criminals. He interviewed Ted Bundy. He also told me that it was a woman who flipped the switch on his execution. I believe in capitol punishment. I believe that if you have committed such heinous crimes as Ted Bundy did, you do not deserve to live and cost us money for your existence. Let Heavenly Father deal with you. And Heavenly Father will deal with you. As this patient was in pain, he kept trying to be funny at the same time. I told him, "You have two choices. You can either laugh or you can cry about pain." He told me he chose laughter. I agreed with him. I choose laughter, too.

We drove up to Logan last night and it was pretty intense. I got off work at 6pm. I normally would have been home by 5pm, except we had to admit a little nine month old for possible Kawasaki Disease. That was rough. When I got home, I had to sew on the straps for Rachelle's car seat cover. I was also in the thick of grounding Emeli. That's another story for another time. We got on the road at 7pm and got to Logan at 9pm. Usually I am laying out what I'm going to wear to work at 9pm. We visited with Rachelle for 45 minutes and then left to drive home. We got home at midnight. I do not do well with going to bed at midnight. I crashed into bed and slept until 6:30. Each time the alarm woke me up, I didn't recognize what it was. I was that tired. Robby didn't get to bed until 1am because he was calling Africa to let his step-mother and mother know about Liam, Rachelle's baby. He had to get up at 5:30 to work at our friend's, the Murdock's, plastics factory. He worked a 12 hour day. I worked 9 hours. We are too old to do that kind of thing. Right now Robby is sore everywhere and he is getting up in the morning to go work from 6am until 10am and then we are going to drive his routes. Tomorrow night and Sunday he is going to crash. I am on call all day tomorrow, so hopefully I don't get a call.

No comments: