Friday, December 19, 2008

December 19, 2008

On Wednesday, we had an office party and exchanged white elephant gifts. I vowed I would NOT take Bill's gift, yet that is exactly what happened, which is kind of hilarious. He got my gift as well, which is really kind of creepy. My gift was a popcorn tin and I had put it in a big felt Santa bag, which was really cute. Everyone wanted the gift just for the bag. Bill's gift was Deluxe Monopoly game. I brought it home and I played it with Brett and Emeli that night. Roberto was working late and he hates that game, so it worked out really well. Emeli had played the game with her step-sisters and they had never really known how to play it, so they hadn't played it right. But she played it right with Brett and I. It was funny to see her at first. She started out not really watching her properties and when people landed on them. Pretty soon she figured out you get money if you catch people on your properties. We were nice to her at first and kind of let her know. But once the game got a little more involved and more money was charged for rent, we weren't as helpful and we told her we were doing that. I told her the best thing to do is always look around the board when it's your turn and you have the dice in your hands. She took that literally to the point where Brett and I were begging her to go and pointing out that NO ONE was on her properties. She has cut throat potential...haha! I beat Brett and Emeli thoroughly. I kept landing on Free Parking and had hotels on all my properties. It got to the point where I was keeping track of how much they owed me on a note pad. They each owed me around $5k by the time we were done with the game. But it was all in good fun.

Emeli tends to take losing very seriously. As the game was becoming more intense, I warned her. I told her that from now on, it was going to get more expensive and she was going to have to be mature about losing. If she couldn't handle it, now would be the time to stop. Of course she didn't want to stop, so she put on a brave face and said she would be mature if she lost the game and owed people lots of money. That's the beauty of Monopoly. If you lose the game, you usually go down in flames and it can teach you how to be a graceful loser, something Emeli still needs to learn. When she plays Uno, she's awful. She gets so pouty if she has to take a bunch of cards. So this game kind of helped her learn sportsmanship.

Last night Emeli and I went to Allen's and bought stuff to make English toffee. While there, we found cute mugs really cheap. I bought one for Heather and Mesha because we have free hot cocoa at work and it's good hot cocoa, but VERY sweet. So I have to limit myself or I would gain fifty pounds just from the hot cocoa!! We also bought a mug for her teacher. So we filled the mugs with English toffee. I also bought her candy canes to give to all her friends. So while I made English toffee, Brett and Emeli played Monopoly again. Brett has all the expensive properties. I told him he's a big jerk for taking advantage of Emeli like that. But I can't point fingers because I used to play that cut throat with my sisters. They are STILL bitter about it. In fact, they both made rude comments on my facebook when I changed my status to say that I creamed Brett and Emeli in Monopoly. Very funny...

Of course, she forgot all of it in her rush to get to the bus this morning, so she called me at work begging me to leave work and take it to her. I am going to see her Christmas program at school at 2pm, so I will take it then. I told her that. She thought I should leave work and bring it to her. Nope.

This weekend, the kids are with their dad until Sunday night. He's not happy about that, but, oh well. Tonight, Roberto and I will go out and see a movie. Tomorrow we have a funeral at 1:00 for a man who was like a father to Roberto. He has been ill for a long time and finally passed away a week ago. Roberto took it very hard. He will probably be a mess tomorrow, too. He was a good man who was very cheerful, even up to the end. That's how I want to be.

I am so excited about the holidays, I can hardly stand it!!!

No comments: