Thursday, February 24, 2011

Louie

As I was driving home from school, I tried to call Robby, but he didn't answer. Normally he always answers and I let him know I'm on my way. Finally, he called me back as I was half way home to tell me that there was an accident at home. Ollie had gotten into Louie's cage. Robby had left the room for just a minute to change and that's when Ollie went in to say, "Hi!". Robby heard all this squawking and went running out to find Ollie with Louie in his mouth. He rescued Louie. Louie circled from the cage to his tree about six times and finally settled behind the TV. Robby was able to get him in the cage and then tossed Ollie in HIS cage. When I got home, I looked Louie over. He has a puncture wound on his underbelly right by his leg on the left side. He also has a puncture wound on his right wing. He has been silent all day long, sleeping and all puffed up. I covered his cage so he could sleep and keep warm. I have really missed hearing him chirping all day long. It's so nice to hear him. It's funny I was just thinking last night how much I love the background noise he makes. When I play music, he chirps even louder. It's cute. But today he is very quiet and sleeping with his little wings shaking. I know it freaked him out and he is in shock. I just hope the shock doesn't kill him. I called the vet and they told me to watch for infection. So I'm watching him closely. He has placed himself right next to his little mirror on the cage floor so he doesn't have to perch. I keep checking on him all day long.

As for Ollie, I can't be angry with him. He is just doing what ferrets do best, get into mischief and play. He was not purposely trying to hurt the bird. He was playing. I left him in his cage for most of the day, though. I was a little angry with him and didn't want to see him for a while. He was just happy to be in his little bed with my nightie in it. We moved my nightie into his cage. It's the one he always snuggles into when he climbs in my pajama drawer. He slept in his little bed all day. Now he is sleeping under the couch.

I was really worried about how Emeli would take this. She came home from school and I broke the news. She was very worried about Louie. She ran over to the cage to check on him, but she took the news well. She has lost so many cats and kittens over the years, she just doesn't do well when one of her little animals dies. She was out here visiting when her little hamster died. She lay in her bed just sobbing while I held her. I told her that I would buy her a little bird of her own on the condition that she had to name it after me. She laughed so hard at that, that it helped her turn around and cheer up. We laughed about that for a while. But it was still hard for her to lose the little hamster.

So I am just keeping an eye on little Louie. I think the fact that he is a stubborn little stinker shows what a little fighter he is and why he survived. I'm glad.

Today in class we gave shots to each other. On Monday, we have to do blood draws. I'm going to be partnering with Amber and that is a relief. Today Amber and I gave each other shots in the hip. We each had two shots in each arm, two shots on our forearms and the only place left (which we have to learn to do) is a shot on the hip/butt. Not a lot of fun to pull my pants down a little in the back and let the teacher and Amber see my lovely little restaurant hips in the back. But now I will understand the embarrassment that a patient will feel. You have to lean over the table, butt sticking out, knees together. Not a fun position. We have to do three of those. If you stick the patient in the wrong part of the hip, you can jab them in the sciatic nerve and cause sciatic nerve pain the rest of their life. No pressure or anything!

No comments: