I have had THE flu from Hell and I am a survivor. I'm not completely out of the woods yet, but I have survived. It started last week. By Friday, I knew it was going to get ugly. I went to school, took the test (aced it, BTW) and came home. On Saturday and Sunday I lay in bed all day. I did my homework, read a lot and just laid around. Emeli was really cute. She made sure I had a drink, gave me otter pops, and made sure I was okay. I went back to school on Monday and after school, I cut out a bunch of hearts and hung them on Emeli's walls. I put words on her door that said, "You've had a heart attack". I put some chocolate on the bed with a pink Webkinz elephant. She is totally into Webkinz. Robby and I went to Walmart and bought each other inexpensive gifts (candy) and came home and exchanged them. Robby bought me a ring and a bucket of red licorice. I bought him a bucket of peanut MnM's (his fave). We had a chicken dinner and it was really nice. For the rest of the week, I have come home from school and literally crashed. I just can't get my energy back and now I have this stupid hacking cough. I sound like a smoker when I cough. I have been running on low gear all week. I will be glad when it is gone.
Today Emeli and I walked outside because it's really pretty and warm. I got tired really quickly and knew I had to turn around or I was going to be wiped out. I do not want to push it.
During lecture on Wednesday, our teacher was talking about documenting patient records. She told us we are not allowed to write in opinions, only facts. If we suspect abuse, we tell the doctor and let the doctor deal with that. I shared an experience I had with the class:
When Taylor and Freddy were little, I used to occasionally watch this little girl. Lori knew her mom and the mom was single, working and kind of white trash. At the time, Lori lived in a really raunchy part of Orem. It was very sad to see the situation these people lived in and it was even more sad to see that they had children living in these conditions as well. This little girl just loved coming to my house. She loved to play with the boys, she loved that I was home and she ate decent meals, could watch TV and play with toys. Her life was VERY tough. She had a history of lice and before I was going to watch her for the day, I wanted to make sure the lice was gone. If it wasn't, I would treat her while she was with me that day. I took her to the Health Department. The nurse looked through her hair and could only find dead nits so she was good to go and didn't need further treatment. While we were going through her hair, we noticed a cigarette burn on her forehead right at the hairline, like it had been strategically done so no one would see it. The nurse and I exchanged looks above the little girl's head. We both asked her about it. She gave us some stupid, lame excuse for what it was. But we knew. When I told the story in class, all the kids in the class gasped out loud. My teacher just shook her head and frowned. One of the students asked her if she had seen abuse cases and she said she had seen many. She said you go home and cry a lot when you see that kind of thing. That is going to be hard. I will want to kick the parents if I see it.
I have raised 4 children and I have lost my cool. I will freely admit that. Each child could probably come up with a few examples of me and my temper. For the most part, though, I was patient and understood when kids will be kids. I also knew when to walk away and get a break. I would NEVER have taken a cigarette to my child or purposely beaten them. I have NO patience for the women in Walmart who scream at their kids or allow them to run out of control. I will have a hard time seeing abuse and not saying something. I will have to duct tape my mouth closed.
No comments:
Post a Comment