Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 25

I just realized that four years ago today my divorce from Fred was finalized. I recall literally doing a happy dance in front of the 10230 home in front of Fred. Probably not very nice, but I was relieved to be free of him, his drama and unfaithfulness. 'Nough said.

Thursday is my last day of externship. I am mixed about that. I am relieved that I can sleep in for a while until I find a job, but I will miss the excitement and the people I have gotten to know in the clinic. I love working in the medical field. I love helping people feel better. I love talking with each patient and getting to know them a little. I love drawing blood. I love the teamwork that happens when someone needs a lot of care.

Today a 78 year old woman was standing on a step ladder and fell. She banged the back of her head on a nearby table and she cut her head open pretty badly. She cut it clear to the bone. The laceration was about three inches long. The doctor told her that she had literally scalped herself. I was able to help the RN clean her up, reassure her, get the instruments ready for the doctor and watch the suturing. That was fascinating because they used a stapler. Not your average office stapler. When you get that kind of a laceration, they usually staple it shut. The doctor gave her nine staples to the back of the head. I cleaned all the blood out of her hair. The RN came back in and said, "Judi is MUCH better with hair than I am!" He had been trying to clean her hair and was doing an okay job of it. She's going to be sore for a while.

Yesterday a little four year old boy came in needing stitches on his face. The neighbor's dog had bitten him right below the eye. It wasn't bad. He just needed three little stitches. The funniest thing is when the RN asked him what was in his pockets because they were all full and lumpy. The little boy pulled out a cherry. His pockets were full of cherries he had picked. I laughed so hard. I thought that was so cute!!

I realized while working there that I love the adrenaline rush I get when there is a patient that needs serious stuff done. I love being in the middle of it all. I love knowing that I made their experience a little more comfortable. I have discovered my little niche.

We have been watching "Dexter" and I am hooked. I find myself thinking about it a lot and analyzing the whole thing.

Our little ferret, Bandit, is so funny. Every morning I let the two of my little ferrets out of the the cage and they run straightaway to the food dishes. Then they frolic for the rest of the morning while I am trying to get ready for work. It's so cute.

I am exhausted, but in a good way. That's another thing I love about my job. I come home completely fulfilled and feeling like I have done something of worth. It's awesome!

Last night Robby and I went to see "The Source Code". The movie was okay. We got there early because we like to get places early. We love to catch the previews, too. By the time the movie was starting, people were still streaming in...Mormon standard time at the dollar movie theater...grrr. These three guys came down our row and asked us to scoot over one seat so they could all sit together. We were kind of disgruntled. The previews were showing and we were irritated that they were late. Then, as the movie was starting, one of them was messing with his fart app on his iPhone. So annoying. You could hear them giggle like little girls and one would say, "Man, what did YOU eat?" I told Robby that if it happened one more time, I was going to go complain. Of course, it happened one more time. So I grabbed one of the theater workers and dragged her in. She gave them the evil eye and told me that if they did it again, she would kick them out. They were good after that. But I did hear a suspicious cough right after I sat down. I suspect they probably said, "Bitch" in their cough. Whatever. Typical BYU students. They come into the dollar movie theater and act all stupid and yell things during the movie. Very lame.

No comments: