I had to put Ollie down yesterday and it was very hard! We took him to the vet and she told me that he had lymphosarcoma. That is a common cancer for ferrets. His was spread throughout his cells. She told us that the kindest thing for him would be to put him down. I had suspected that and was not surprised. Robby was not prepared for that. He was hoping that he could be saved. He was crying. I told them I would stay with Ollie and be with him when they put him down. That was harder than I thought. They had a little gas mask on him and he was completely out and then they inject his heart with something that makes his heart stop beating. The vet had a stethoscope and listened to his heart. Just before he told me that Ollie was gone, I felt Ollie's presence to the left of me. It was the most bizarre thing. I just felt he was standing there looking up at me like he has done thousands of times as I fed him or stood in the kitchen with him beside me. It was comforting. Robby could not bear to be there, so he waited in the car. When I came out, I was bawling. He asked me if I was okay. I told him I needed ice cream. Robby took me to DQ.
So today at work, toward the end of my shift, Robby came in with a smirk on his face. I knew he was up to something. He asked me if I had a minute, so I followed him out to the car. He told me to look on the driver's seat and there was a box. I turned and said, "Did you get me a kitten?" He grinned and said, "No, look..." On the outside of the box, he had written, "Hi Mom...my name is Bandit." I opened the box and there was a little ferret. He was tiny and had the raccoon face that is so cute! I had half an hour of work left and it seemed to last forever. I asked him why he had bought me the ferret. He said, "Yesterday you were so sad about Ollie. I didn't like to see you like that." I love Robby!
When I got home, I went to pick up Bandit and he gave me a nasty little bit on my pointer finger...little beast. I know he is adjusting, so I forgive him. But the biting will not continue. For biting, you scruff ferrets like you do puppies and that's what we are going to have to do. Little Teddy is very excited to have him. He showed Bandit all around the house and little Bandit followed him.
I wish Emeli was here so she could see him. I know she is going to love him.
Today at work was super busy. At one time, both doctors were using our two procedure rooms and stitching up patients. It was crazy! We had a possible pulmonary embolism, a 2 year old with severe bronchitis, another 2 year old who had put a pony bead up her nose, a couple of possible broken bones, lots of strep tests, a few UTI's and lots of sinus and abdominal problems. I LOVE this!!! I also love the people who work there. It is a lot of fun there. We work well together and I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment