Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday

This week was a pretty busy week. I worked Monday, took off Tuesday and then worked Wednesday through Saturday. I saw a ton of stuff. Sometimes it's heartbreaking and sometimes I have to laugh. I love the clinic. I love learning all the stuff there is to know. I love helping people. I love talking medicine with the nurses and doctors. It's so fascinating to me.

Yesterday we sent a lady to the ER because she had gotten her index finger stuck in a machine and tore off the pad of her finger. She was holding it above her head and crying. I didn't blame her one bit. It looked pretty awful. Today we sent a teenage boy to the ER because he got his finger stuck between the handle and the hammer of the gun he was shooting. It was really bad looking. He was literally shaking with shock. His mother wouldn't even look at it. That's where she differs from me. I would have looked at it to assess the damage. The nurse wrapped it up and told him they needed to go to the ER. I hung around to chat with him and make sure he was okay while she went to get more bandages and some ice. I told him that his finger was still intact, he had just lost the thumbnail. He would be okay, but he needed to calm down or he would suffer the effects of shock. He visibly relaxed and took deep breaths. I told him to hold his hand above his head to keep from bleeding so much.

I gave a hip shot to one lady today who told me that I did such a good job, she hardly felt it. That made me feel really good. Another lady came into the clinic because she thought she might have a blood clot on her leg. I asked her if she would let me look at it and feel it. They are usually hard, swollen, hot to the touch and very painful. I told her I was a student and had never seen or felt a blood clot before and would love to see what one might look like. She was very happy to let me look at it and feel it. She also told me she had no idea I was a student because she thought I was so professional. She thought I had been doing this for years. That made me feel really good.

I love my job. I love the people I work with. Everyone is friendly and helpful to me. They always thank me for my help when I leave and I always tell them I love to be there and love the work.

I miss Emeli and every time I go somewhere or buy something, I think about how much she would love what we are doing or what we are getting. I know she will love our new little ferret, Bandit. He is a biter, but we are taming the savage little beast.

No comments: