On Monday night, during FHE, Roberto got a call from work. They told him they would be cutting his hours back from 40 to 8. That hit him hard. He took it bravely, but I could tell as FHE progressed, he was getting more and more quiet. On Friday night, they had laid off about five full time employees, so Roberto was expecting something. But this took him by surprise because it was so quick after the lay offs. After FHE, we went upstairs and Roberto got on the computer and started looking for jobs immediately. I helped him write a Cover Letter and he started sending out his resume and cover letters to anyone he could.
He found a couple of call centers he could work at until he either found a better job or he could get more shifts at Slate Canyon (where he works now). That is one thing I admire about Roberto. He is very serious about providing for his family. He would do anything, no matter how menial, to bring in money to support us. There are a couple of leads he is following. One of them is being a bank vault security officer. That would require him to carry a gun...yikes. The other one is doing pest control. That would pay well, plus there is commission and benefits. We are hoping he can get something with benefits.
It is a hard time to be out of work because the jobs are pretty scarce and companies are either cutting back or laying off. It's scary out there.
Yesterday he went to a few interviews. He also went into work last night and picked up more shifts in other units at Slate Canyon. That is a relief. But they could cut one of his shifts at any time if they don't have enough kids there. They cut his shift for tonight. That means I need to do more overtime. Thank goodness my boss owes me for some commission he didn't pay me last month. So he is giving me free hours of overtime to make up for it.
Now Roberto is sick and I feel like I will probably get it by the weekend...grrr. The kids will be with Fred, so I will probably just lay around the house and do nothing all weekend. I hate weekends like that. I like to get things done. But everyone around me is sick and I'm sure my number is up. I've been lucky so far. I haven't been really sick for a while.
I tell Roberto that the Lord hasn't let us down yet, so we will be okay with the cutting of his hours. But it's still worrisome. I am grateful to be married to someone who wants to work and doesn't look at this like an opportunity to sit around the house and do nothing. He is online all day long looking for work. He is out doing interviews. I am grateful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment