Friday, September 25, 2009

FRIDAY

I am all alone in the office and I love it when that happens! So I am typing in my blog. When I type this fast, most people know I am NOT working, so no one is here to find out.

On Wednesday night, I had book club. I also had to be at Emeli's soccer game. I left her game early. I parked my car in the garage and did the whole push the garage door button and run under the closing door thingee. I was walking to Andrea's house to catch a ride to book club. As I was walking across the driveway, I saw a tarantula walking across the street towards our house in a kind of diagonal fashion. For about two seconds, I stood frozen and started to whine. Then I called Brett. I told him to hurry and get out here. He came running because I hadn't told him what it was about. When he saw the tarantula, his eyes lit up and he smiled this huge smile.
I said, "Okay, I want you to do something for me..."
He turned to me and said, "I will not kill it."
I told him that I wanted him to catch it for me so I could take it to work the next day for Heather. I knew she would LOVE it. So Brett got a container we had and caught the tarantula. The tarantula was not happy about it. He kept raising up on his front legs.

I kept it in the container, in the bed of the truck until the next day when I gave it to Heather. She immediately named it Steve. Funny!

Robby had never seen how freaked out I can be about huge spiders until the night before when we went for our walk and walked under a huge, orange spider that had built a web right above our front porch. I had a mini meltdown. I wouldn't walk back into the house under the web. I literally walked to the side of the porch and went in that way. I think that finally sunk in with him. He was so cute. I was lying in his arms kind of whining about how scary it was and he quietly said, "Tomorrow I will go out and kill it for you." Sure enough, the next day he went out with the broom, tore down the huge web and crushed the spider up in the rafters above the porch. It was a huge spider with a butt the size of a nickel.

I told him I can handle spiders until they get bigger than a quarter and then I freak. If they come in my house, they die. It's that simple. I was explaining to Robby that I don't go tromping around in their webs, so they are not allowed in my house. If I went into THEIR web, they would try to kill ME, so the same thing applies here.

Now when I walk out of my house, I scan the horizon for approaching tarantulas before I head out walking somewhere. I have been told they are all over the place right now and I don't want any more surprises!!

No comments: