Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday

I have not written for a while. Partly because life has been a little hard and I haven't wanted to write about it.

Freddy arrived two weeks ago and that has been mixed. I love having him around, but he is adding an element of drama I could do without. Last weekend Emeli found out that he has been smoking weed. That was not good. It really upset her. She was convinced that Freddy could die. Freddy wanted me to convince her that smoking weed is okay and that he will be fine. I told him he put me in a very awkward position. I have never believed in illegal drugs. I have taught my children to be smarter than that. No matter how safe Freddy believes weed is, it's still a drug. Drugs are unpredictable. You can't ever say that a drug is safe, even prescription drugs. That was a whole lot of drama we didn't need.

Thank goodness for Roberto. He has a very strong belief system. He is my strength. When he speaks to the kids about things, he uses a calm, soft voice. He doesn't judge. He just states facts. He doesn't use guilt to teach, unlike their dad. They appreciate that and so do I.

Then, after a dramatic Sunday evening, I had a terrible work week. My boss is abusive and a bully. On Monday, he sat me in his office and told me that if I do another mistake on PO orders, I will be written up. I understand that. We created some procedural check lists so that I could make sure the PO's are more accurate. The problem is that most of my mistakes are because he sends me faulty PO's, but I can't bring that up because he denies that. Oh well. So I accepted that I could get written up. I was quiet after that because I was very upset with myself. On Wednesday, I was talking with the two guys who make campaign calls. From his office, my boss was literally yelling at me. At one time, as I was asking one of the guys a question, Rick yelled, "Judi, are you listening to me?!" and then he berated me in front of everyone in the office. I just stood there. I walked into their cubicle with my back to my boss while he was yelling. I stared straight ahead and had a very stoney look on my face. One of the guys saw my expression and I could tell he felt sorry for me. I just took his abuse. He came to my desk about half an hour later and tapped me on the shoulder and half heartedly apologized for treating me the way he had. He said he did that mostly because he needed to let the guys know how angry he was with them. He said, "You understand, don't you?" I didn't answer back. I wanted to say, "Don't touch me." Later that day, he found a PO that one of our sales guys had failed to ask to be processed. He proceeded to blame me for that, too. So he yelled at me again. By now, I was only speaking to him when I had to and answering him with yes or no. He knew I was pissed. He went and spoke to Heather in her office very quietly. She told me later that she had told him that she doesn't know why I take his abuse, but she wouldn't. He called me later, on his way home, and told me he wanted to talk to me the next day about his behavior and how he knew he was an ass. I told him that would be fine.

I came home from work upset and crying. I called Roberto at his work and literally just bawled into the phone. He knew about how the beginning of the week had been kind of building up to this. He told me he was ready to go in there and take my boss down a peg or two. He told me he would be home soon and he would help me feel better. I was very nervous about the next day. I knew Rick would try and justify his behavior.

Roberto told me that if I ever feel that abused again, I have his permission to walk. He said I can call him and he will come pick me up and help me pack my desk and then he will have a talk with Rick. So now, armed with that, I can tell my boss to go to hell and I will. As it turns out, on Thursday, he never had that talk with me. He was out of the office most of the day. Roberto kept calling me to see if we had spoken yet. When I told him my boss had left the office and wasn't coming back in, he called him a huge chicken. I completely blew him off whenever he tried to talk to me or joke with me. I would just give him my deadpan look and he knew he was on my hit list. By Friday, he still hadn't spoken with me, but he was being very nice to me. We had a staff meeting and he made a point of saying, "If Judi left, I would not be able to do PO's." I wanted to say, "Yeah, so watch your step, jerk." Both Thursday and Friday morning, Roberto came into my office to visit me, just to let Rick know that he is there for me and knows. On Thursday, he came into my cubicle and hugged me and loudly said, "You okay?"

Roberto held me on Wednesday night and told me that I should never fear my boss. He said no money is worth the abuse I have put up with and he won't allow it. He said, "I don't talk to you that way and he certainly won't." He told me the next time Rick is like that, I can walk right off the job. So I will. Plus, I will file a complaint.


As soon as Roberto is making good money selling at his work, I will quit and teach piano for extra income. Plus, I am also going to try and find a part time job that doesn't take me away from home so much. That will be nice. Until then, I can stay there. Hopefully my boss can behave and I don't have to walk away.

No comments: